Monday, March 3, 2014

Chemical Free Hair Care Products: Shampoo & Conditioner

Go Green in 2014: Week 9

I'm going to break my green haircare segment into two parts: This week's post will be on chemical-free shampoo and conditioner options, and next week I will cover various ways you can style your hair with non-toxic products, such as hairspray, which is a huge source of indoor pollution.

Part 1


There are numerous ways to replace commercial haircare products with non-toxic ones, and in this post, I am going to share with you a few different natural options for shampooing and conditioning your hair. First, let's discuss why I avoid store-bought shampoo and conditioner - the first two things I dropped in my quest to go "green".

What's wrong with my shampoo and conditioner?

A lot of things. These haircare products contain numerous chemicals that begin their toxic journey by seeping into your pores, entering the bloodstream and, well, you will understand why they are so bad after you take a look at the ingredients list on your bottles of shampoo and conditioner and learn what they are. Next, they run down your body and down the drain, where they continue causing havoc to the environment.

Let's take a look at the typical ingredients in a bottle of shampoo:

Sodium lauryl sulfate/sodium laureth sulfate - These ingredients help your shampoo lather, which many people associate with extra cleaning power. Not only is it unnecessary to get your hair clean, but it is an environmental toxin, organ system toxin, allergen, irritant, and more.

METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE
METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE
Methylisothiazolinone - I can't even pronounce it, so why would I want to put in on my skin? This ingredient is an environmental toxin, brain toxin, allergen, and irritant.

Fragrance - This is what makes your shampoo and conditioner smell so good, but it may not be as innocent as it sounds. A cocktail of chemicals, it's simply labeled as "fragrance" on labels because the ingredients are considered a trade secret, so companies don't have to list them. Whatever they are, I am particularly sensitive to shampoo and conditioner with "fragrance" listed on the bottle, so I keep a safe distance from them.

Since I don't have the time to list every harmful ingredient in these haircare products, and you don't have the time to read about them, I'll leave it at that and let you decide for yourself whether you want to continue using store-bought shampoo and conditioner.

(Source)

What are some of my chemical free hair care options?

I have read several stories lately about people who wash their hair once a week or less, and even about people who have quit shampooing altogether. While this isn't my choice, I understand that the more we shampoo our hair, the more we NEED to shampoo our hair. This is especially true when it comes to chemical-laden products that strip our hair of its natural oils, causing our scalp to overcompensate and create even more oil.

BomaSense shampoo and conditioner

When I quit using store-bought hair products, I started using shampoo and conditioner from BomaSense, a company that makes natural products especially for people with chronic disease. It took a while to get used to the runny consistency of the shampoo and the thickness of the conditioner, but I have grown accustomed to it. It took a while for my hair to adjust to the lack of chemicals, and for the first couple months, my hair was pretty oily. It still does get that way occasionally, although I have learned that it helps to shampoo twice and make sure to rinse my hair extra well. I will continue using BomaSense products until they stop making them (or until I forget to order more before running out). 

Dr. Bronner's castile soap

I love Dr. Bronner's because it has so many different uses, including shampoo and body wash. It is even safe to use on your baby. Mix one part the liquid castile soap with 40 parts water - yes, it's that effective! I haven't used it as a shampoo, but my husband has been using Dr. Bronner's as a body wash and hasn't complained yet!

The "no poo" method

The "no poo" method of hairwashing consists of using baking soda as a shampoo and apple cider vinegar as a conditioner. I have read about people who have had great success with it, and others who have dealt with dry, damaged hair from the harshness of the baking soda. I personally am not interested in this method, but it could work for you. Learn more about it here.

Honey washing

If I am ever in need of an alternate shampooing method, I would probably try honey washing, mainly because I already use honey as a facial cleanser and love it (read about how I greened my skincare routine). It is supposed to treat dandruff or a dry scalp, while moisturizing your hair. To wash with honey, mix up each batch as you need it: 1 tablespoon raw honey, 3 tablespoons filtered water, and optionally, a few drops of essential oil for fragrance. Simply massage into your wet scalp and rinse well. 

Deep conditioning treatments

There are various ingredients found in the kitchen that you can use to deep condition your hair, although I haven't personally felt the need to do so, and to be honest, I'm a little afraid that it will make my hair really greasy. However, if your hair is dry, damaged, or frizzy, you might benefit from deep conditioning once a week with coconut oil, mayonnaise, avocado, egg whites, and so on. If you have ever tried any of these ingredients to deep condition your hair, be sure to share your experience in the comments below!

veganbaking.net / http://www.flickr.com/photos/vegan-baking/

Disclaimer: I bought all of these products with my own money, and have not received compensation of any kind to review them. All opinions in this article are my own.

~ ~ ~

Your challenge: This week, consider washing your hair with a chemical-free method - or wait until your current products are gone, then make the switch.
______________________________________________________

**This post is part of a weekly challenge {Go Green in 2014}, during which the author has challenged herself - and you - to find 52 ways to lead a greener life in 2014. You can follow the weekly posts on this page.**

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...