Monday, October 20, 2014

How & Why to Ditch Disposable Sandwich Bags for Cloth

Go Green in 2014: Week 42


It's late in the day once again, due to the fact that I was out of town again this weekend and didn't have a chance to work on this post until after work today. I'm going to try to keep it short because, well, it's getting late and I'm either getting sick or my allergies are flaring up from being in Minnesota (I already drank some honey tea...and I'm sure I'll be attempting a few more natural remedies before this is over).

Anyway. I wanted to cover reusable cloth sandwich and snack baggies with this post. Does your household go through a lot of plastic baggies? Between sandwiches, snacks, and various other items, it's easy to burn through an entire box before you know it. I had recently started bringing snacks to work in reusable plastic containers, but they are kind of bulky, so I decided to order some reusable cloth baggies from Etsy. Here's a link to the shop I ordered from (Disclaimer: I am not compensated in any way for endorsing this shop).

Why use cloth instead of plastic?

The biggest reason to ditch disposable sandwich bags for cloth is to reduce waste. Some people go through several plastic bags daily, which can really add up quickly...and then there's the money it costs to replenish your supply. Plus, the baggies I bought are just adorable. ;)

How can you make the switch?

If you're really ambitious, you can make your own baggies. However, I still haven't purchased a sewing machine, so I ordered mine online (see the link above). There are tons of different online shops with various styles and patterns. The baggies I ordered came in sets of two - one sandwich bag and one snack bag. I ordered four sets.

I've only been using them for a week, but they work great. They are made with colorful cotton fabric; white nylon lines the inside; and they have Velcro (hook and loop) closures. To reuse, simply turn them inside out, shake out the crumbs, and wipe clean.

Do you use cloth sandwich and snack bags? Or do you have a different solution for reducing the number of plastic baggies you use? To be honest, I won't completely do away with the plastic. I like using them for freezing food, and it's nice to be able to throw away the plastic after thawing the food. But every little bit helps when it comes to reducing waste.

~ ~ ~

Your challenge: This week, consider the ways you can reduce the number of plastic baggies you use and try to implement them into your daily routine.
______________________________________________________

**This post is part of a weekly challenge {Go Green in 2014}, during which the author has challenged herself - and you - to find 52 ways to lead a greener life in 2014. You can follow the weekly posts on this page.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...